Massive game announcements, exclusive unveilings and huge surprises – the PlayStation event at gamescom 2014 had it all...
As the first gamescom of the PlayStation 4 era exploded into life in Cologne, anticipation was at fever pitch – what could the world expect from the new generation? Here, we've rounded up the stars of the show.
- Bloodborne: An exclusive first look at its grisly, gothic gameplay opened the evening, followed by snippets of dark PS Vita adventure Murasaki Baby, the gripping alternative history of The Order: 1886, the colourful world of LittleBigPlanet 3 and a taste of inFAMOUS First Light's Battle Arena mode. Also revealed were Journey and Hustle Kings, both coming to PS4.
- The Hungry Horde: The quirky puzzler is munching its way onto PlayStation Vita.
- The Tomorrow Children: What happens when the fate of humanity is placed in the brave hands of the young citizens of the future? You'll find out exclusively on PS4.
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: The heart-stopping mystery was followed by Mike Bithell introducing his innovative, stealthy creation, Volume.
- Papers Please: The Cold War-set indie sensation is on its way to PS4, along with Pix the Cat, Nom Nom Galaxy, Snow and Ether One.
- Rime: The PS4 exclusive title was given a fresh dose of vibrant colour in a brand new trailer.
- DayZ: The brutally epic survival MMO is coming to PS4.
- Hellblade: Sword-swinging fantasy action is the next project from Enslaved: Odyssey to the West studio Ninja Theory.
- Destiny: The most pre-ordered new franchise of all time showed off more of the multiplayer action we can expect when the colossal space shooter launches next month.
- Far Cry 4: Explorers can take a trip to the mythical realm of Shangri-La in a wealth of side missions, plus there was more information on the Keys to Kyrat feature, which allows a friend to join you in-game even if they don't own Far Cry 4 yet.
- Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor: A new trailer acted as a grisly postcard from a land infested with Sauron's armies.
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain: Hideo Kojima stepped on stage to give us a glimpse of some of the ingenious ways a humble cardboard box can help players infiltrate an enemy compound.
- P.T.: One of the most mysterious unveilings of the night was revealed with an enigmatic trailer – which has an exclusive interactive teaser available to try right now on PlayStation Store.
- Until Dawn: The survival slasher is coming exclusively to PS4 in 2015 with a Hollywood cast and a terrifying storyline which you will guide with your snap decisions.
- DRIVECLUB: Petrol heads were treated to a glimpse of how challenges will work thanks to game director Paul Rustchynsky giving us an on-stage demo.
- Tearaway Unfolded: The charming paper-craft world of Tearaway is being lovingly recreated for PS4 and we were treated to a live demo of the incredible new features that will use the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller.
- ALIENATION: Indie heroes Housemarque are set to return to PS4 with this extra-terrestrial blaster.
- WiLD: This incredible, exclusive PS4 survival adventure will put players at the mercy of nature as they carve out a life in an enormous, fully explorable prehistoric wilderness.
- System software 2.0: The feature-packed update for PS4 is due later this year, and includes Share Play, the co-op feature that lets a friend jump straight into your game.
- PlayStation TV: Gamers will be able to get their hands on the micro console in November 2014.
Couldn't make it to Cologne? You'll find all the news, features and trailers direct from gamescom 2014 right here on eu.playstation.com as well as on PlayStation.Blog – where you can also watch the entire PlayStation event again so you don't miss a thing.