Download this system software update to enable automatic updates, even if you don't subscribe to PlayStation Plus.
An update to the PlayStation 3 system software was released on 2 October 2013. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 4.50 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 4.50, you will need a minimum 200MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 4.50
- You can now set the group of players who can see your trophies. You can also specify for each game whether to show trophies.
- The PS3 system can now perform the following operations when you set [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Automatic Update] to [On], even if you do not subscribe to PlayStation Plus. When this setting is [On], the PS3 system will automatically start each day at the specified time and perform these operations before turning off:
- Download content items purchased with other devices
- Download the latest system software
Other new or revised features in version 4.50
- "PlayStation Network" has been renamed "PSN".
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.