Find out what features are included in PS3 system software update 2.70.
An update to the PS3 system software was released on April 2, 2009. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.70 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.70, you will need a minimum 140Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).
Main features in system software update version 2.70
You can now do text chat with people on your Friends list. You can also participate in text chat during gameplay with people who are playing the same game as you, or a different game.
Other new or revised features in version 2.70
- [Dynamic Normalizer] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].
- You can now easily search the Internet for information about your PlayStation®3 format software, as well as for games you purchased from PlayStation®Store. Select the icon for the game, and then select [Internet Search] from the options menu to get search results based on the game title.
- You can now copy and paste text from a Web page viewed in the Internet browser.
- [Copy Address of This Page] and [Copy Address of This Link] have been added as options under [File] in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
- [Browser Security] has been added as an option to the browse mode menu of the Internet browser. The websites for the Web filtering services that used to be listed under [Bookmarks] have been moved under this new option.
- The order in which Friends are listed in the Friends list has been changed. When you have pending requests to add Users as Friends, the icons for these Users are now displayed at the top of the Friends list.
- The maximum size for files that can be attached to messages has been increased to 3MB.
- Polish, Greek, Czech, Slovak, and Turkish can now be displayed in the Internet browser.
- This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
- The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PlayStation 3.
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.