Find out how to reinstall the system software on your PS3 after replacing the hard disk.
If the system software does not start when the system is turned on (such as when the hard disk has been replaced), you will need to download and reinstall the system software.
Downloading system software update data
Using a PC with Internet access, download the system software update data from eu.playstation.com/ps3. Follow the instructions available on the website to copy the update data from the PC to storage media.
- Use the latest version of the update data available on the website. You cannot reinstall the system software using a version that is earlier than the system software version that had previously been used. If the appropriate update data for your system is not available at the website, contact your local Customer Service helpline.
- If you have a game disc or other disc that contains update data, you may be able to use that disc to reinstall the system software. If you insert the disc in the PS3 system and follow the on-screen instructions, you can verify whether the update data can be used.
- If you do not have Internet access from a PC, contact your local Customer Service helpline.
Installing the system software
Turn on the PS3 system, and then insert the storage media containing the update data. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the system software.
- Do not turn off the system or remove the storage media during the installation. If the installation is cancelled before completion, the system software may become damaged, and the system may require servicing or exchange.
- During the installation, the power button on the system and the PS button on the wireless controller are not active.